Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The five stages of grief...over a rented truck!

Since Tony and I got married we have only had one vehicle. This was mainly because I took the bus downtown to work for four years. I did this even when I had a car. It was cheaper and faster. And then we moved and I became a stay home Mom. We were close to the C-train which stops just behind Tony's office building and since I had free time being home I could drop him off and pick him up from the train most days.

Now we are in Sherwood Park. Going back and forth on weekends to Calgary and we were apart for most of the last 3 months as we got ready to move and still renovating. We really needed a second vehicle. With the budget the company gave us for the move we were able to rent a truck for the last 3 months. It gave us more flexibility and assisted with the renovations. It was a real life saver. Tomorrow we are giving it back. And we will be a one car family again. And its going to suck!

I am actually in mourning over returning the truck. I realised that I am going through the 5 stages of grief over...a truck...that was never mine to begin with.

The first stage is DENIAL. I was completely oblivious to the fact that the truck wasn't "ours" until this week when Tony reminded me he had to drop it off on Thursday. It was like it had become apart of the family.

The second stage, ANGER, set in when I realised that we chose this financially. That we set ourselves in a position that we would put everything into this house and we wouldn't buy a second car until we sold it. How could we be so stupid? Just the thought of not having a vehicle anytime I want makes me feel like I am handing over the freedom to my life away. And It is so freezing here transit is just not an option. I am not even sure what transit is like in Sherwood Park.

Then there is the third stage, BARGAINING. I could cut back on the grocery budget etc, etc. I started pitching ideas to Tony about how we could justify one more month of renting or better yet, we could lease and have a low monthly payment...or...if we just used our line of credit....and so on...

Now I am about to start stage four, DEPRESSION, I told Tony we should take a ride in the truck tonight as a family. Say goodbye. So I can have closure...

Who knows how long it will take for stage five, ACCEPTANCE. I think I may dwell in stage four until the holidays roll around so I can feed the pain with baked goods and chocolate.

Seriously, how do people who never learn to drive stand it? Take away my car keys, and your taking my independence, which is painful!

2 comments:

Alyson said...

We were a two car family until just before D was born. I have to say that some of my post pardum depression was probably due to the fact that I couldn't just get in my car and go somewhere. I hear ya sista. I feel your pain. How are we supposed to get important things like grocery shopping done with out a vehicle? We did it in the evening when other families got to relax. It totally sucks and for that I am sending you many well wishes your way in the house renovating and selling department so you can have that second vehicle. Don't even get me started about the winter and children going to school.

Darcy said...

We went to one vehicle because of expense but also because of pollution. Having only one vehicle reduces emissions. One bus takes 60 cars off of the road. I can understand the problems that only one vehicle creates. I guess Tony is going to be walking to work eh? Or Maybe he could take the bus...

Amen to the baked goods and chocolate!