Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Little Friends

I watched another toddler today who doesn't ever get left. His Mom was in a car accident and has to get physio therapy so I watched him for 3 hours while she drove into the city and had her appointment. I thought it was going to be easy when he happily kissed her goodbye and ran off to play with toys...but was I mistaken.
Five minutes after his Mommy left he had a total meltdown. He was running around my house screaming for his Mom and Dad. He then hid himself in my bathroom by wedging himself between the toilet and the bath tub.
I tried to bribe him with toys, cookies, a juice box...anything to distract him from his feeling of abandonment but nothing worked. Finally I had to just let him ride out the emotion and come to terms with his reality.
Thirty minutes later and still whining, Jacob went over to him and talked to him in his own little babble...and then the crying...stopped. They came out together and started to color on a giant note pad I had laid out as a possible "distraction" and he was fine after that.
I couldn't understand what happened but I think my little guy has a bit of a peace maker inside him. His words didn't make any sense to me but to this little boy it was all that he needed to hear.

No comments: