Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Long Nap = A Long Night

Every time my son naps I have to decide when to wake him up. Do I enjoy my peace and quiet and let him take a long nap and then let him stay up really late at night? Or do I wake him up and deal with his crankiness from being woken up but enjoy a longer evening with my husband?

It never seems like an easy choice, especially if he was up in the night for a few hours like last night he was up from 3:00am to 6:00am and he only fell back to sleep because I took him into the spare room so I could lie down with him. Then he fell asleep directly in the centre of a double bed like a star fish (he's definitely my child because if I could sleep any which way that would be how). So I am crammed up in the corner and incredibly uncomfortable and I really want to leave him there and go back to my own bed. But there is a problem.

My husband's alarm goes off around seven and it is almost seven. So if I go back to my bed I have to endure listening to him press snooze several times until he gets up and then proceed to get dressed and make noise and turn the bathroom lights on. I tried lying down but in 5 minutes I knew if I drifted off he'd be waking me up. So I did what any rational woman would do on 4 hours of sleep. I got up and unloaded and re-loaded the dishwasher, swept the floor and did a once over with a swiffer wet mop. Oh yeah, I also washed the dishes left in the sink.

By then my husband had surfaced and left for work so I went back to bed where I fell into a Mommy coma where 90 minutes later I woke up to a toddler yelling for me because he was awake...and I was like...ALREADY??? I was only asleep for 5 minutes or what felt like 5 minutes.

And now I am supposed to go and wake him up when I have had 2 hours of peace and actually managed to get all my Christmas cards written, stuffed with photos, addressed and sealed? And I just want more of this lovely quiet that is in the house. Yeah, I am thinking he can sleep a little longer. But I know I will pay for it later...

No comments: