Saturday, December 30, 2006

I am a Procrastinating Perfectionist.

So Christmas...was a lot of work. And that is because I am a procrastinating perfectionist. Say that ten times fast. Its true and I think there must be others out there like me. I need therapy for this.

Trying to cook an entire turkey dinner for the first time with a toddler holding onto your legs wanting 'up, up, up!' added an extra element of difficulty to an already stressful situation. Especially since I need everything to be perfect. Frankly, I really need to let the perfectness go to hell once in a while.

I know where I went wrong. The procrastinating part of my problem. I did everything the week before Christmas. Everything! Baking, shopping, decorating, house cleaning, preparing for company, grocery shopping, cooking, wrapping, getting family photos, writing/addressing/mailing Christmas cards complete with family photos, and cooking. Even though I started late, I still had to do it all. I am crazy.

My son was given a lot of great toys for Christmas but of course they always say the boxes and wrapping paper are the best part. For him it was placing a long narrow box that a sports bag came in strategically over the two stairs leading down into the sunken living room and then trying to slide down it. Who needs TV when you have an 18 month old?

Well hopefully I will have the sense to re-read this blog next year and do it all differently. But I have to admit old habits are hard to break.

1 comment:

Alyson said...

I got my chrismas card. Nice Pics. Maybe you need to get sick to reach the level of acceptance that I did, although I wouldn't recomend it. I plan to be insane next year.