Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Oven is About to Run a Marathon

I like to do Christmas baking and I like to do all kinds of different baking. But this year I am responsible for Christmas at my house which means, I am also doing the whole shebang so I need to get organised and narrow down the most important items.

Gingerbread cookies. Should I do a house, round cookies or full out people? I do get joy out of taunting each cookie about which limb is going to be eaten first. Oh come on, we all do it. Poor little gingerbread man just lost his head! Ha, ha, ha, munch, munch, munch munch.
So gingerbread people it is...

Sugar cookies. Very time consuming but I only do them once a year. Maybe I will lighten the effort by doing it in stages. One day make the dough, another day bake a few dozen, then anther day when I have friends over get help icing them. Who wants to come over and ice cookies?

Shortbread. Can't do it. The butter content alone just screams don't do it! I don't know, my Dad loves shortbread as does my husband. I am on the fence about this cookie.

Nuts and bolts. Had them growing up every year at Christmas time. But now it kind of seems like a throw back to the 1970's party snack. But I need something savoury. Any ideas?

And then Christmas dinner...apparently its all about the stuffing. So I am going to do the standard family recipe change it up with a few different kinds of bread. I also want top make a trendier apple and dried cranberry kind. I am a huge Barefoot Contessa fan. She recommends a sour cream and Parmesan mash potato recipe I am going to use. I haven't decided on the vegetable. I was thinking roasted brussel sprouts and carrots. And of course the turkey. The only thing I can't seem to do regarding the turkey is tie it correctly. Some birds look like they have been in bondage. I just tuck the wings under and tie the legs shut.
This turkey roasting is starting to sound like dirty talk. So let's move on to Christmas morning.

Christmas morning at our house always involved Butter horns. A mashed potato dough bun with icing and walnuts. I actually have never made them. My Mom always made them. I think I may try them out this year. Big shoes to fill on this one. I am a little nervous.

Christmas is a lot more relaxing when your not responsible for anything and can just sit back and enjoy the goods. Who am I kidding, I love this. I absolutely know my husband falls in love with me a little more each time I make one hell of a meal. And I soak it up!

3 comments:

The Voice of Reason said...

The Husband does indeed fall in love a little more with each stupendous meal!! The way to a man's heart.....

Anonymous said...

my kids want to bake cookies and well I haven't been in a kitchen for 2 months now so can I send them to your place?

Anonymous said...

Hiya,

I have a good recipe for gingerbread cake from the mother country (Cape Breton) that is super easy yet impressivly festive. I'll call you tonight with it. (-:

~shannon